Pocahontas County Marriage License

Applying for a Marriage License

Pocahontas County, West Virginia

Print This Page
  • The license fee is $57.00. If the applicants have had pre-marital counseling and provides a certificate of completion, the fee is $37.00
  • If either applicant has had a prior marriage; the date and reason the marriage ended will be needed for the application. (ex: divorce, death; month/day/year)
  • Applicants will need to provide parents’ information: full name, place of birth and mothers’ maiden name.
  • The license is obtained the same day of application and is valid for 60 days. Please allow 40 minutes to process the marriage application.
  • Both parties must be present at the time of execution of the application.
  • Effective June 5, 2018, applicants, regardless of their state or county residency, may apply for a license to be issued by the clerk of the county commission in any county in West Virginia.

Evidence of age may be as follows:

  1. A certified copy of a birth certificate or a duplicate certificate produced by any means that accurately reproduces the original.
  2. A voter’s registration card.
  3. An operator’s or chauffeur’s license.
  4. The affidavit of either parents or the legal guardian of the applicant.
  • The age of consent for marriage is 18 years of age.
  • A person under the age of 18 lacks the capacity to contract a marriage without the following required consent:
  1. 16 to 18 years of age requires valid written consent from the  applicant’s parents or legal guardian and applicant.

    (A marriage license may not be issued to an applicant who is at least 16 but under 18 if person the applicant is marrying is more than 4 years older)

    Download Under Age Consent Form

    1. A consent to marry must be acknowledged by a notary public.

    2. If the parents are living together; the signatures of both parents is required.

    3. If one parent is dead, the signature of surviving parent or legal guardian is required.

    4. If the parents are living separate, the signature of the parent having custody is required.

    5. If divorced parents have substantially equal parenting rights, signatures of both required

    6. A legal guardian may sign consent.

    7. After 3 days, the license can be issued.

If you choose to be married by a Circuit Court Judge, you will need to contact the Pocahontas County Circuit Clerk’s office for appointment information:  304-799-4604