Applying for a Marriage License
Pocahontas County, West Virginia
- The license fee is $57.00. If the applicants have had pre-marital counseling and provides a certificate of completion, the fee is $37.00
- If either applicant has had a prior marriage; the date and reason the marriage ended will be needed for the application. (ex: divorce, death; month/day/year)
- Applicants will need to provide parents’ information: full name, place of birth and mothers’ maiden name.
- The license is obtained the same day of application and is valid for 60 days. Please allow 40 minutes to process the marriage application.
- Both parties must be present at the time of execution of the application.
- Effective June 5, 2018, applicants, regardless of their state or county residency, may apply for a license to be issued by the clerk of the county commission in any county in West Virginia.
Evidence of age may be as follows:
- A certified copy of a birth certificate or a duplicate certificate produced by any means that accurately reproduces the original.
- A voter’s registration card.
- An operator’s or chauffeur’s license.
- The affidavit of either parents or the legal guardian of the applicant.
- The age of consent for marriage is 18 years of age.
- A person under the age of 18 lacks the capacity to contract a marriage without the following required consent:
- 16 to 18 years of age requires valid written consent from the applicant’s parents or legal guardian,
- Applicants under the age of 16 can obtain a marriage license upon a court order of a circuit judge and consent given by the parents or guardian
- A consent to marry must be acknowledged by a notary public.
- If the parents are living together; the signatures of both parents is required.
- If the parents are living separate, the signature of the parent having custody is required.
- A legal guardian may sign consent.
- After 3 days, the license can be issued.
If you choose to be married by a Circuit Court Judge, you will need to contact the Pocahontas County Circuit Clerk’s office for appointment information: 304-799-4604